Who Can Join
Membership with Credit Union Advantage is available to:
- Individuals age 55 and over living in Oakland County who receive a pension, retirement annuity, Social Security, or a similar payment from a private or government source.
- Employees or members of employer groups or other organized groups which are located within a 25 mile radius of the credit union’s Southfield office.
- All who live or work in:
- Oakland County: Berkley, Beverly Hills, Commerce Township, Farmington, Farmington Hills, Ferndale, Hazel Park, Huntington Woods, Keego Harbor, Lathrup Village, Lyon Township, Madison Heights, Milford, Milford Township, Northville, Novi, Oak Park, Orchard Lake, Pleasant Ridge, Royal Oak, Royal Oak Township, South Lyon, Southfield, Sylvan Lake, Walled Lake, Bloomfield Township, Wixom, Wolverine.
- Macomb County: Center Line, Eastpointe, Roseville, St. Clair Shores, Warren.
- Wayne County: Detroit, Grosse Pointe, Grosse Pointe Park, Grosse Pointe Shores, Grosse Pointe Woods, Harper Woods, Livonia, Northville, Northville Township, Redford Township.
- All Credit Union Advantage employees and family members of the foregoing.
Office is located in the Providence Medical Building in Southfield.
Credit Union Advantage follows all procedures of the U.S. Patriot Act when opening accounts.
Credit Unions vs. Banks
Credit unions are similar to traditional banks in the sense that both institutions offer financial products to customers. Credit union members, like bank customers, have access to checking and savings accounts, CDs, loan products, credit cards, and more. However, credit unions differ from larger banking chains in two distinct ways:
- One key difference is that a credit union is a not-for-profit institution. Since credit unions operate as nonprofits, we can offer higher interest rates on savings accounts and CDs, lower interest rates on loan products and credit cards, 24/7 electronic access, along with lower or no fees.
- Another important distinction is that credit unions are member-focused institutions. A credit union is a cooperative, which means it is owned and operated by its members, as opposed to being owned by its stockholders like a bank. Your initial membership deposit makes you a part owner of Credit Union Advantage and gives you a say in the credit union’s decisions.
Because of this ownership structure, potential members have to meet membership requirements, which are described above for Credit Union Advantage. Our members also enjoy personalized service from our team of knowledgeable employees.
Join Our Family
We would love for you to be part of Credit Union Advantage, where you’ll enjoy better service and products you can trust. Download our membership application below, and drop it off at a branch. You may also join online by opening our regular savings account with just $5.